Yad Vashem Chairman Dani Dayan Addresses Lithuanian Parliament on Holocaust Remembrance
- Yad Vashem Chairman Dani Dayan delivers a powerful speech at the Lithuanian Parliament, commemorating the victims of the Holocaust in Lithuania and highlighting the importance of Holocaust education and remembrance.
- Dayan mentions key historical figures involved in Lithuania’s dark Holocaust past, challenging the nation to confront its history.
Why This Matters:
- Dayan’s speech marks an important step towards acknowledging and grappling with Lithuania’s Holocaust past.
- Lithuania’s leaders are showing a continued commitment towards Holocaust education, remembrance, and fostering tolerance and understanding.
Yad Vashem Chairman Dani Dayan traveled to Vilna for the second time this year after being invited by the President of the Seimas, the Lithuanian Parliament, to address a special remembrance session of the Parliament. The occasion marked the 80th anniversary of the liquidation of the Vilna ghetto in Lithuania and aimed to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust in the country.
During his speech, Dayan courageously mentioned influential historical figures involved in Lithuania’s dark Holocaust past. He specifically named Noreika, Skirpa, and Krikstaponis, urging Lithuania to confront their involvement in atrocities. Grant Gochin, Chair of the Maceva Project in Lithuania, commended Dayan’s boldness and the impact of his words, stating, “I am in tears and am so grateful that I have lived to see this. Dayan mentions Noreika, Skirpa, and Krikstaponis by name. Loudly and clearly. And loudly and clearly, our small team of fearsome truth tellers has broken through the wall of fraud.”
Dayan’s speech received a warm reception from the Lithuanian Prime Minister, Speaker of the House, and members of Parliament, who applauded him at the end. This positive response reflects Lithuania’s leaders’ willingness to confront their nation’s dark past and acknowledge the importance of Holocaust education.
- Lithuania’s commitment towards Holocaust education, remembrance, and fostering tolerance must translate into concrete actions.
- It is crucial for Lithuania to fully acknowledge and reckon with the role certain historical figures played in the Holocaust.
These events highlight the ongoing efforts of Lithuania’s leaders to come to terms with their nation’s Holocaust past. As they strive to enhance Holocaust education, remembrance, tolerance, and understanding, it is important for them to take concrete steps towards addressing the involvement of historical figures like Noreika, Skirpa, and Krikstaponis in the atrocities committed during that time.
To read more on this topic, please visit EU Today.