Israeli Minister to Lead Delegation to Saudi Arabia Amidst Growing Normalization Efforts
Israeli Communication Minister Shlomo Karhi is set to become the second minister to publicly visit Saudi Arabia, leading an Israeli delegation to the Universal Postal Union’s 2023 Extraordinary Congress. This visit comes in the wake of ongoing normalization talks between the two countries, mediated by the United States.
– The visit follows Israeli Tourism Minister Haim Katz’s recent trip to Saudi Arabia for a United Nations conference.
– The US administration, led by President Joe Biden, has been actively engaged in brokering a normalization deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Why this Matters:
The forthcoming visit of Communication Minister Karhi to Saudi Arabia marks a significant step in the growing diplomatic relations between the two countries. It reflects the progress being made towards a formal normalization agreement, which the US has been working to facilitate.
– Saudi Arabia has reportedly requested a major mutual defense pact and significant arms deals from the US as part of the normalization agreement.
– Israeli concessions to the Palestinians are also being discussed as part of the framework for the deal.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu highlighted the importance of the potential agreement during his speech at the UN General Assembly, declaring that Israel was “on the cusp” of a historic deal with Saudi Arabia.
White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby: “A basic framework has been reached, but the complex arrangement will require compromise from all sides.”
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman: “Every day we get closer” to normalizing ties with Israel, while emphasizing the continued importance of the Palestinian issue.
The Israeli delegation, led by Minister Karhi, will participate in the Universal Postal Union’s 2023 Extraordinary Congress from Monday to Thursday. This event provides a platform for further dialogue and engagement between Israel and Saudi Arabia.
– The ongoing efforts by the United States to broker a normalization deal between the two countries will continue.
– The outcome of the Israeli delegation’s visit will likely shape the future direction and progress towards a formal normalization agreement.
1. The Times of Israel – https://www.timesofisrael.com/days-after-tourism-minister-communications-minister-slated-to-visit-saudi-arabia/
2. White House National Security Council – https://www.timesofisrael.com/days-after-tourism-minister-communications-minister-slated-to-visit-saudi-arabia/
3. Axios – https://www.timesofisrael.com/days-after-tourism-minister-communications-minister-slated-to-visit-saudi-arabia/